Thoughts on Furlough

By Joe Reddington, COO I’m currently furloughed. I was completely furloughed for most of the pandemic and I’m now part-furloughed since that became part of the scheme. I work a limited number of hours a week. I also keep being asked how I feel about it, so I ‘ve put my thoughts together here. It is, absolutely, the best thing for the charity. It’s also the best thing for my… Read Article →

Finace Upgrades

A good rule for life is ‘if you have to do something regularly, make it easier for yourself next time’. One of the things we have to do regularly at eQuality Time is put the accounts in order. It’s got a lot smoother over the last few years. Proper use of Quickbooks, sending staff off to learn accounting, and increasing the amount of accounting knowledge on our board have all… Read Article →

New Project Nerves

Our Hashtag Poundsign project has its first contact with school students in the next few days and I have New Project Nerves. I have all of the fear in fact. The best thing to do with that fear (for the project) is to think about all the things that could go wrong, and what we can do to make sure that they will go right, double check everything with the… Read Article →

Things to know as one of our artists.

So, you are drawing a cover image for one of our White Water Writers books. Let’s give you all the information we can. You can see previous covers here. You are going to be put in contact with an individual camp leader. They’ll to be on the ground with the writers from Monday to Friday and will press the final publication button. My assumption is that they’ll send you a… Read Article →

New Project!

With partners at Glasgow University and Northumbria University, we’ve been awarded £40,000 in funding from Not-Equal for a new project. The project has the working title “Hastag Poundsign” until we can come up with something better. Intervention Concept A problem is that a lot of people, particularly young people, are terrible at working out how to judge the value of information online.  We are particularly interested in the case of… Read Article →

Okay, so we got a massive grant? Maybe?

Bit of an odd bit of news. We’ve got a massive grant. We think. But every charity gets it. We think. Let me start at the beginning. We got this email: This says that we are part of the Google Ad Grant. We had to jump through some hoops to get it, but it was relatively simple. I understood it would give us a few hundred pounds worth of ads… Read Article →

Vitual Camps in Japan

This August we ran our first truly virtual White Water Writers camp with a group of Japanese students.   The students were learning English as part of their degree (and I think were doing it in the evening after their classes, which is very hardcore). Their book is the wonderful Changed Daily Life, and is ready to buy now. The camp went strangly smoothly (one of the harder parts was… Read Article →


In the last three years I’ve written 31 references for employers who are interested in employing one of my former White Water Writer camp leaders.  I’ve written effectively the same email/had the same conversation in all of those cases and it’s time to write it up so I can send future references to this page. If someone has been a leader on one of my camps it means that they:… Read Article →

Launching a new White Water Writers homepage!

Over the last few days I’ve complately rebuilt It was a very generic site advertising an academic project to strangers and now it’s for our writers to see the results of their work. It took quite the mental shift to go from ‘we are running educational interventions’ to ‘we are a publisher that runs social interventions’ and the website change is part of that shift. We might lose a… Read Article →